Saturday, May 7, 2011

About Me..


Myself Mandar, working with a software firm. I started my IT professional career in Jan 2007.

For more than 2.5 years was working on support project. Almost used to fire only select statement in all 2.5 years :) When I look back at this stage - I feel very ashamed. People who do not dare or get satisfied with what ever they do - result into such things. I regret my decisions now, but time has gone and its of no use.

Even though, I tried my level best at that time - rather there were such circumstance. I cleared SCJP just in May 2007. As very new to IT environment and having a language problem and along with that inferiority complex. All things helped me to be in same boring project. Very funny thing is that, I was not knowing how to join 2 tables. Used to fire one query and value which I get it from there, used to put into another query's where caluse :).

As time passed, I realized the things where I am lacking behind. I started working on Oracle front and gave SQL and PL-SQL exams. Thought I cracked the exams using dumps - I learned something new and become must better in forming sql's. I improved a lot in my SELECT job :).

People who joined with me (mostly all) were in Development projects. I used to admire their knowledge and always feel bad about myself. I realized that if I do not fight, I will not get the things. I refused to work on same things and declined some projects. It was Dec 2008 - almost 2 years I joined the company. But - unfortunately recession came and it was sudden ramp-down started in company. I was fighting for Dev project but even support projects got screwed up :-(.

Fortune favors the Brave - yes its very true. Thought it was a recession time, and company was releasing the resource like anything.. I stick to my point. A good omen , and a support project for Business Intelligence came. It was having technologies like Informatica 8.1, Business Ojbect 6.5 and Oracle 9i. Something is better than nothing - instead of being simple SELECT guy, I opted to be a Informatica + BO + SELECT guy. :) A guy with SCJP + SCWCD + OCA finally became a Datawarehouse Professional.

I had never thought in my life, that eventually I will become a datawarehouse professional. Things was not in my hand or else I was not having a courage at the moment and I did not fight for it. I might have become java or oracle professional like my other friends - god knows.

Things went quite interesting afterwords. I used to support production jobs and reports for one of the big us client. Most of the issues of always HIGHT priority - but I learned a lot. I became very good from simple SELECT statement to COMPLEX SELECT statement. Apart from that there were issues of Performance, some part related to tablespace, database buffer cache, index, and core DBA related. Working on number of issues, I became very confident in building SQLs, and Identifying the root causes. There were the lessons learned that time - which are useful at this time also in my professional life.

It was a god grace - and 2 people resigned at the same time from my Dev team. Dev team manager forced the upper management to move me to Dev project from support project. I realized after words - things which you learn from Development project are not learned even if you work your entire life in Support stuff. Your own study and reading is always important but you need hands on to implement those stuff. There was a co-incidence and I got the chance.

In my 4+ years career, I realized few things. You should always learn new things and very important is fight for good work. No ask - No get. Do not get satisfied with same work. There were people with me, who were not happy with the work they are doing. But they never resist or denied and still they are at same stage. Always strive for good work, read more and more books which will help you always. IT industry is very big industry and somewhere you will definitely get a job for sure !!

4 comments:

  1. I have worked on Informatica 8.1 and 8.6, Oracle 9i and 10g, Teradata 12 and Business Object 6.5 and XIR2.

    Along with it at some extent I still know Java, JSP, Servlet and Struts 1.2 :)

    Hoping to create my own website in Java in near future.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mandar,

    It would be great if could please start with Java here. I want to learn Java and if you please put some Java programs here then that would be help full for me. In this way I can at least learn from you.

    Thanks,
    Sudhir

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gogate I learnt how to create and run the simple Java Program in Eclipse.

    sysou+cntrl+space = shortcut to put system.out.println

    cntrl+F11 to run the program.

    Like these small this I would expect from you here. Eagerly waiting for your reply.

    ReplyDelete
  4. yeh surely... we will learn java with some of the innovative examples..

    Will start form tomorrow..today will setup my java and eclipse at my machine.

    ReplyDelete

All about CSS

From book HTML & CSS - Design and Build Websites - Jon Duckett CSS works by associating rules with HTML elements. These rules govern how...